State Resources

Michigan's premier government online service dedicated fully to the successful operation of new and existing businesses.   Everything you need to do business in our great state is right here in this one stop shop -- from information about licensing and permits, to tax registration and unemployment insurance. 
Automotive Repair Licensing
888-767-6424 (License information) or 800-292-4204 (consumer complaints on repair facilities)

The Secretary of State offers information on dealers, mechanics and repair facilities.

Business and Development Expansion Services

Information on creating or expanding a business, including site location assistance, work force issues and solutions to state government problems, is available through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation.

Chambers of Commerce

The Michigan Chamber of Commerce offers updated lists of area chambers of commerce.

Civil Rights
(517) 335-3165

Information on compliance with Civil Rights laws.


The dedicated staff of the Bureau of Construction Codes (BCC) work as a team to assure that the built environment and the systems within are sound, safe and sanitary; building users' health, safety and welfare are protected; and that, through a coordinated program of prevention, code compliance, investigation and training, there is consistent application of standards.

Corporate Division, Bureau of Commercial Services

The Corporation Division promotes economic development and growth by facilitating the formation of business entities in Michigan. The Division provides services that enable corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability companies, and limited liability partnerships to be formed, and for foreign entities to obtain a certificate of authority to transact business.

Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
(517) 373-1820

LARA supports business growth and job creation while safeguarding Michigan's citizens through a simple, fair, efficient and transparent regulatory structure.

Licensing, Department of Labor and Economic Growth

The Licensing Division is responsible for determining eligibility for examination and licensure, monitoring licensee's compliance with continuing education requirements, and providing administrative support to the boards and oversees administration of examinations to those professions that have an examination requirement.

Michigan Commission on Disability Concerns
320 N. Washington Sq., #250
Lansing, MI 48913
(517) 334-8000 (voice/TTY)
1-877-499-6232 (toll free in state only)
(517) 334-6637 (fax)

Michigan Department of Management and Budget

Access to information about doing business with the State of Michigan and the Vendor Registration Form.

Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC)

The Michigan Economic Development Corporation is the one-stop business assistance resource for any company already in Michigan or considering a location in the state. Professional account management teams provide free, confidential help in the areas of:

  • attracting new business to Michigan
  • keeping business in Michigan
  • information on Michigan and its industries
  • site location selection
  • business incentives
  • financial assistance
  • employee recruitment and training
  • permit assistance
  • coordination of site development,
  • resources and services

Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA)
(517) 322-1814

The mission of the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) is to help assure the safety and health of Michigan workers.

Starting a Business in Michigan
(877) 873-4567

"We hope you find the Guide to Starting a Small Business (Guide) helpful. The MI-SBTDC, in partnership with the MEDC, assists over 13,500 small businesses annually. The Guide is information that has been gathered from various entities interested in seeing your start-up become a success. "

Taxes : Michigan Department of Treasury
Business Tax Registration: (517) 636-4660
Business tax forms: 800-367-6263

Forms to register for Michigan business taxes, i.e. Sales, Use & Withholding, and Single Business Tax.

Trademark Registration
(517) 241-6400

Trademarks and service marks adopted and used in Michigan are registered with the Bureau of Commercial Services, Corporation Division, of the Department of Consumer and Industry Services. The registration fee is $50 and is in effect for ten years.
Trademarks and service marks may also be registered for use throughout the United States with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office at (800) 786-9199 or online here:

Unemployment Insurance Agency

Employer Customer Relations hotline, 1-800-638-3994
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays

Claimant Customer Relations hotline, 1-800-638-3995
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays

The UIA's Web site allows unemployed workers to apply for unemployment benefits. It also has information about using the telephone to apply for benefits, and about a program in which employers may file claims on behalf of their employees during mass layoffs. Also available on line are: important forms and publications for unemployed workers and employers; Agency contact information; an FAQ section; details about Agency programs and services; and information about Michigan's unemployment insurance system.

Workers Compensation

The mission of the Workers' Compensation Agency is to efficiently administer the Workers' Disability Compensation Act of Michigan, which includes carrier and employer compliance, timely benefit payments, and the prompt and fair adjudication of claims involving Michigan's injured workers.